You should be aware of these food groups and what they're used for:
- 1. Carbohydrates - split into sweet and starchy - energy
- 2. Protein - growth and repair
- 3. Fat - energy and storage of energy
- 4. Vitamins - needed in small amounts for chemical reactions
- 5. Minerals - needed in small amounts for chemical reactions
- 6. Fibre - a.k.a. roughage - exercises the bowel and prevents constipation
- 7. Water - sometimes included
You also need to know at least one example of a food that's rich in each nutrient.
- 1. Sweet carbohydrates - fruit, sugary foods; Starchy carbohydrates - potatoes, pasta, etc.
- 2. Protein - meat, fish, eggs
- 3. Fat - butter, chocolate
- 4. Vitamins - fruit, e.g. vitamin C in orange juice
- 5. Minerals - e.g. iron in spinach
- 6. Fibre - wholegrain foods e.g. brown rice
No votes yet