Design & Market Influences
It is important to understand that when designing useful, user-friendly products the needs of the end user have to be considered. However it is also important to remember that technologies can shape and transform users’ needs and behaviours.
A relatively recent example would include Apple introducing the iPad to the market. Prior to this, tablets had existed but were not in common usage. Now many people use tablets in place of laptop computers.
Profile your target user
It’s important to begin the design process by identifying the type of customer likely to purchase and use your product.
A simple way to do this is to answer the following questions:
- What is the gender of the likely user?
- What age are they likely to be?
- Where do they live?
- Where do they work?
- What needs do they have from your product?
- What makes your product different from anything else on the market?
- What are your likely customers going to consider before purchasing your product?
- How does the cost of your product influence the likelihood of purchase?