This short video from eNotes outlines the play's main characters:
Use the links below to find out more about each of the key characters that appear in The Tempest.
Characters are the central feature of any play or novel. An essential part of your study will be to observe how writers create and present characters.
Here are some ways we get a picture of a character:
- What the character looks like (physical appearance, clothing etc). Don’t forget to look at the stage directions too when studying drama.
- What a character says and how it is said.
- What a character thinks.
- How the character acts – watch out for reaction to different situations.
- How the character’s words match their actual deeds or their underlying motives.
- What other characters say about a character.
- How a character changes as the text progresses.